Preparing your kids for that first dentist visit
Maintaining good dental health is important for your entire lifespan and a large part of that comes from regular, professional dental care. Since this is a lifelong goal, parents are responsible for taking their children to the dentist to start their dental health care journey.
The dentist office will be a new environment for a child, with unfamiliar people and noises and smells, so it can be a little overwhelming. So it’s important to prepare your child for the visit, to make it as comfortable and friendly as possible. Here are some tips to help in preparing your child for their first dental visit.
Tips to prepare your child for their first dentist visit
- Start early: the CDC recommends a child be seen by a dentist within 6 months of getting their first tooth.
- Choose a kid’s dentist: find a dentist that is knowledgeable about pediatric dental care and can interact with your child in a fun, positive way
- Arrange a tour before your child’s appointment: knowing what to expect beforehand will help lessen anxiety about going somewhere ‘new’.
- Go regularly: setting routine appointments will normalize seeing the dentist and will help identify and deal with problems before they become an issue. Every 6 months is recommended.
- Stay positive: Some adults are nervous or fearful of the dentist due to their own bad experiences and these feelings can be picked up on and taken on by children. Try to find a way to present dental visits in a positive light.
- Role-play: Take turns playing the dentist and patient game,checking each other’s teeth with pretend toys.
Much of a child’s first visit with the dentist will involve the dentist speaking with the parents about their child’s oral health and habits. Tooth brushing info and a demonstration will be included. The dentist will check the child’s teeth to make sure there are no signs of early issues.
Riverside Heights Dental strives to make the experience at the dentist as enjoyable as possible for your children. Make an appointment today to arrange a visit for your child.